The Csaba Horváth Memorial Award is presented annually by the Connecticut Separation Science Council (CSSC) to a top separation scientist, someone whose work “exemplifies and will continue to provide for the advancement of separation science in the future.”
PROVO, Utah and ORANGE, Conn. — October 22, 2018 — Axcend Corporation today announced that its Co-Founder and Chief Science Officer, Milton L. Lee, Ph.D., has received the prestigious 2018 Csaba Horváth Memorial Award.
The Award was presented to Professor Lee during ceremonies held last Thursday at the 18th Annual Csaba Horváth Memorial Award Symposium on the campus of Yale University in Orange, Connecticut. Following the award presentation, Dr. Lee delivered the Keynote Lecture titled “Novel Technologies for Portable Capillary Chromatography.”
According to CSSC President, Thomas Melninkaitis, “The Csaba Horváth Memorial Award has been presented annually since its creation in 2000. This Award is designed to recognize the top chemist in the world in the field of Separation Science, someone whose work ‘exemplifies and will continue to provide for the advancement of separation science in the future.’”
Professor Milton L. Lee, Ph.D. Career Synopsis
Dr. Lee has been a member of the faculty of Brigham Young University since 1976 and is currently the Emeritus H. Tracy Hall Professor of Chemistry. He is best known for his research in capillary separation techniques and mass spectrometry detection. He has authored/co-authored over 590 scientific publications and has delivered over 500 technical presentations during his career.
Dr. Lee has received numerous industry awards during his career of over 40 years, including being named three times as one of the 100 most influential people in the field of analytical sciences by The Analytical Scientist magazine in 2013, 2015 and 2017. In addition, he has mentored over 100 graduate students and post-doctoral researchers during his time in academia.
Among the scientific awards that he has received for his achievements in research and professional activities are
- the M.S. Tswett Chromatography Medal (1984),
- the Keene P. Dimick Chromatography Award (1988),
- the American Chemical Society Award in Chromatography (1988),
- the Russian Tswett Chromatography Medal (1992),
- the Martin Gold Medal (1996),
- the Latin-American Chromatography Congress Medal (1998),
- the M.J.E. Golay Award (1998),
- the American Chemical Society Award in Chemical Instrumentation (1998),
- an honorary doctorate from Uppsala University in Sweden (1998),
- the Dal Nogare Award (1999),
- the Eastern Analytical Symposium Award for Achievements in Separation Science (1999),
- the California Separation Science Society Award (2005),
- the Pittsburgh Analytical Chemistry Award (2008),
- R&D 100 Awards from R&D magazine (1993 and 2008),
- Eastern Analytical Symposium Award for Outstanding Achievements in the Fields of Analytical Chemistry (2008),
- the American Chemical Society Award in Separations Science and Technology (2012), and
- the LC/GC Europe Lifetime Achievement Award (2014).
“It’s hard to encapsulate the impact one person can have in a given industry, so I applaud the members of the CSSC for choosing Dr. Lee as its recipient of the 2018 Csaba Horváth Memorial Award,” said Glen Mella, Axcend Co-Founder and CEO. “It has been a delight knowing and working with Milt, and I look forward to many exciting accomplishments together in the months and years ahead.”
Dr. Lee is also an entrepreneur and has been involved in inventing, commercializing and transferring technology from his research laboratory at BYU into the private sector. In addition to co-founding Axcend with Mella in 2018, Professor Lee also
- Co-founded Lee Scientific in 1984 to develop supercritical fluid chromatographic instrumentation, a company acquired in 1988 by Dionex.
- Founded Sensar Corporation in 1991 to develop unique time-of-flight mass spectrometry instrumentation, a firm acquired in 2002 by LECO.
- Founded Torion Technologies in 2001 to develop a hand-portable gas chromatographymass spectrometry system, a company acquired in 2015 by Perkin Elmer.
“Dr. Horváth was both a friend and a mentor, so I am humbled to receive this award that was named in his honor,” Dr. Lee said. “And to my peers at the CSSC, the Connecticut Mass Spectrometry Discussion Group, and the Hungarian Society for Separation Sciences, I say ‘Thank You.’”
Axcend is a provider of innovative, compact nano-flow, gradient high-performance liquid chromatography (LC) systems that deliver dramatic improvements in portability, ease-ofoperation, rapid and convenient deployment, and coupling to other analytical systems (such as mass spectrometers). Its award-winning Axcend Focus LC was unveiled in February 2018 at the Pittcon conference and trade show. For more information, call 801-376-9088, email [email protected] or visit www.AxcendCorp.com
Axcend, the Axcend logo and Axcend Focus LC are trademarks of Axcend, LLC. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.
# # #
David Politis, 801-556-8184, [email protected]