Teaching has a “new normal” mandating the balance of individual safety with academic achievement. Science and Chemistry education involves congregating in a laboratory or in a lecture hall which is not conducive to the rules of the day. This is why our hand-portable and self-contained high performance liquid chromatograph (HPLC), the Axcend Focus LC®, is the perfect teaching tool for in-the-classroom. With everything you need built in to a portable LC system, the Axcend Focus LC® minimizes exposure and ensures safety for the user, the instructor, and the students all while providing hands-on learning!
AFLC as a teaching tool
The American Chemical Society Handbook for Undergraduate Professional Education in Chemistry documents guidelines and evaluation procedures for bachelor degree programs. Specifically “The laboratory experience must include hands-on experience with modern instrumentation such as that listed in section 4.2.”
- Optical molecular spectroscopy (e.g., FT-IR, fluorescence, Raman, UV-Vis)
- Optical atomic spectroscopy (e.g., atomic absorption, ICP-atomic
- Mass spectrometry (e.g., MS, GC-MS, LC-MS)
- Chromatography and separations (e.g., GC, GPC, HPLC, ion chromatography, capillary electrophoresis, SEC)
- Electrochemistry (e.g., potentiometry, amperometry, coulometry, voltammetry)
Miniaturization of an HPLC enables analytical determination at the point-of-need, whether within a conventional laboratory setting, within a processing facility, or classroom and Laboratory setting. Additionally, it addresses many of the challenges listed above by providing a fully self-contained compact and portable HPLC with capillary flow rates. The Axcend Focus LC would satisfy the ACS requirements for an HPLC while providing a cost-effective chromatographic instrument. Challenges in providing instrumentation for modern analytical chemistry courses and undergraduate laboratories include:
- Instrument mobility, and Instrument accessibility and sharing
- Individualized assignments and projects requiring unique instrument methodologies
- Ease of use for both the operator and instructor
- Operating cost (solvent consumption) and Environmental impact
- Limited Bench Space
- Set up and equilibration time.
- Health and safety concerns with exposure to large solvent volumes and large groups of students gathering around instruments.
Want more Information?
Thank you for visiting our website! If you would like to learn more about the Axcend Focus LC® or schedule a demo (Virtual or In-Person) then please submit your details using the contact form.
"*" indicates required fields